This is a volunteer position requiring 1-5 hours per month.
Founded in 1980, the Neighborhood Parents Network of Chicago, (NPN), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to connect a diverse community of families with the support and resources designed to solve the challenges of parenting in Chicago. NPN helps parents research schools, navigate developmental differences, and get parent-to-parent advice. Learn more at npnparents.org.
NPN is proud to be an inclusive organization and welcomes families of all cultures and backgrounds, regardless of gender, gender identity, race, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, or ability.
Board Member Purpose
Come join a supportive, hard-working team of parents dedicated to bringing resources to their fellow parents in Chicago. Board Members guide NPN in its mission and goals by actively engaging in board meetings with the Executive Director, building relationships within the Chicago business, educational, and parent community, and participating in NPN’s events, programs, fundraisiers, and membership campaigns.
Not all applicants will have skills that match this description exactly. NPN values diverse experiences and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to apply. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Comfortable introducing themselves to business owners, non-profit professionals, school leaders, and parents in order to build relationships and request donations of time and money to support NPN’s mission
- Able and willing to help with board administrative and leadership tasks each month (1-5 hour time commitment each month)
- Familiar with and actively engaged in at least one Chicago neighborhood
- Familiar with the needs of parents of children with developmental differences
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Internally motivated to build relationships with and celebrate all types of Chicago families including but not limited to families with one parent, families of children with developmental differences, new parents, experienced parents, LGBTQIA+ parents and children, and families across all income brackets, races, and religions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend at least one virtual or in-person NPN event each month
- Contribute to the annual fundraising campaign in the amount of $400 annually
- Secure a minimum of 5 auction items with a minimum value of $50 each annually
- Follow NPN on social media and share posts regularly
- Participate in NPN’s online discussion forum regularly
- Recruit new NPN members (suggested 5+ each year)
Strong interpersonal skills. Bachelor's Degree preferred. Ability to devote 2-5 hours of work to NPN each month. Ability to attend all board meetings. (Current meeting schedule is once every other month from 7:00 - 8:30 pm, via Zoom.)
We are a supportive, inclusive, hard-working team of parents. We support each other in our work-life balance and believe in the best of each other. We are professional, kind, and hardworking. We believe in the value of NPN.
1-5 hours each month
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Executive Director, Amy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter “Board Member Application” in the subject line.