• Christa Reed

9 social media rules for first-time parents

I’ve been seeing a lot of weird stuff on social media lately and I thought it was time to say it aloud.

Dear FTP (First Time Parent),

As much as you try to filter yourself, you’re annoying. And I mean that in the best way possible. You love your kids and you want to share them with the world. They are indeed, ridiculously cute. Well, most of them are.

I get it. There isn’t etiquette per se on how to manage your social media feeds once your first baby arrives, so I thought I’d make one for you. Here’s a list of dos and don’ts that’ll make the social world a better place.

1. Don’t take a picture of your baby’s rash and crowdsource a diagnosis on Facebook. It’s weird. Nobody wants to look at that. Trust your gut. If your baby has a rash and it doesn’t seem to be going away, call your pediatrician.

2. If you can’t seem to get your child to sit still for a photo, that’s ok. Just don’t post a blurry photo that people can’t make out.  Is that your child, or a tree branch?

3. Frequency. Watch how often you post pics of your kids. I’m not saying don’t post. It’s fun for when they’re being silly or for particular milestones but unfortunately all of those social media friends that you had before kids don’t really want to see little Johnny staring off into space.

[Related: The social media mom: How social media can influence the way we feel]

4. Don’t talk about poop. Not the color. Not the consistency. Just don’t.

5. For Pete’s sake, stop asking questions you can get answers to with a five second Google search. It makes you look ignorant and/or desperate for attention. (Example: What time does the Children's Museum open today?)

6. Don’t ask how you get your newborn to sleep through the night when they are four weeks old. That’s like asking how you can get your dog to use the toilet. Sure, it’s happened. You may have even had a friend say to you once that their baby slept through the night at that age, but they were lying. They probably just slept through it and was none the wiser.

7. Don’t ask abstract questions like “How do you balance it all?” because the answer you’re going to get is “you don’t.”

8. Don’t post a picture of your child in a car seat. Nothing good can come from it. Someone will judge you (most likely, publicly) on the direction it is facing, the way the straps lay, where the buckle is, the unsafe color, the fact that the seat is not made from sustainably raised plastic, and so on. Don’t open yourself up to the altruistic who think their comments are just made to look out for your child when they’re just really trying to prove how much they think they’re better than you. And for all you Judge Reinhold wannabes—cool it. Your “expertise” is derived from a blog post you read while tuning out your toddler. Nobody is impressed.

9. Get an Instagram account. It’s the perfect way to share photos without annoying the sh*t out of your friends. There’s all sorts of fun filters anyway, so try to keep the majority of the photos there.

* Disclaimer: I surely violate a few of these rules myself. It’s hard not to when they’re so freaking cute.

Christa Reed

More related articles

Everyone is Talking about Gentle Parenting - We Should be Talking About Attachment

If there is one thing I believe all parents need to understand, it’s that the best outcomes for our children depend on parenting in a way that builds a secure attachment between them (kids) and us (parents).

What Is Breastfeeding Medicine?: A Guide for Parents

How to feed your infant is a personal choice, and I support families regardless of their choices. However, I strongly advocate for access to appropriate support to make sure that those who do choose to breastfeed or chestfeed can be given their best chance at reaching their goals.

Making Friends As An Adult - Why Is This So Hard?

If you'd asked me where I'd be in 2023 as a teenager - there's no way I'd ever guess I'd spend my weekends couch surfing with my kids while watching Disney movies that I've seen a thousand times...and enjoying it. In a post-COVID world, it can be easy to convince yourself that you don't need any new friends but if you're ready to make a few, here are three easy tips!

The Power of Community: How a Resource Fair Helped My Family Thrive

Overwhelmed with loneliness, desperation, and the fear of our new normal, I realized that a parent community might be what I needed to restore my hope.

• Join NPN!
    Become a part of our Chicago parenting community. Learn about member benefits and start connecting to other city parents today!

Privacy Policy Membership Terms

© 2024 Neighborhood Parents Network of Chicago

Important Information

Thank you for visiting our site. Browsing this site is an acceptance of our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. and Terms of Use.