5 Steps for a Cleaner and Greener Home PLUS Giveaway!
Written by: Dapple Kelly
Create a safe and happy home for your family! We all know that toxins are all around us (and largely unavoidable), but there is something you can do. Keep safe cleaning supplies on hand to make your home a little greener…while making it cleaner!
- Step #1: Assess your surroundings. Think about what you are currently using to clean the following: laundry, bottles/sippy cups, pacifiers, toys and highchairs. Remember these items are in mouths and in contact with skin. Cleaning product manufacturers are not required to disclose ingredients of household cleaners on the product labels, so as a consumer you should look for cleaning products that list ingredients. Look for ingredients from plant-based sources. Dapple is proud to list and disclose all of its ingredients! Keep ‘em safe and non toxic!
- Step #2: Out with the old! Of course you have already moved those household cleaners out of baby’s reach, but how about replacing them? Did you know that vinegar + water makes an excellent window cleaner and is totally non toxic? Just add 1 pint water + 2 tablespoons vinegar and 10-15 drops essential oil (optional) to a spray bottle. Use a lint free cloth and viola—sparkly glass without the extra chemicals.
- Step #3: Educate!Learn more about common household cleaning agents. Some have some unpleasant side effects. For example, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate (SLS/SLES) which may be found in handsoaps, dishsoaps, and detergents, can cause irritation to skin, leading to inflammation or dermatitis. This can produce symptoms such as dryness, coarseness and redness. Babies have a thinner epidermis (the outer layer of skin) than adults; this means babies are more sensitive to soaps and detergents. The Environmental Working Group has a great database of some common household toxins you might want to learn more about.
- Step #4: Prepare! You can count on dropped toys. Dirty onesies. A bottle in need of a rinse. Pack a travel size version of your favorite surface, laundry and bottle cleaners. We’ve made that easy with our On the Go Essentials Kit. The cleanup will be quick and non- toxic!
- Step #5: Share. Have you made the switch to a more natural cleaning regimen?
GIVEAWAY: How have you made your household cleaning regimen a little "greener"? Share your story in a reply (below) by 7/31/13 at 12pm CST and you will be entered to win a full size Dapple Toy and Surface Clean up Kit, including: Value Size Toy and Surface Wipes, Toy and Surface Spray and Travel Size Wipes for Highchairs Toys and More. One winner will be randomly selected and contacted via email.
Keep your family safe, healthy, and happy at home and on the go! Clean Dapple-y!
Dapple is a line of non toxic cleaning products for homes with kids created by two New York City moms who knew there had to be a better, safer way to clean up after their children. After creating the first ever Baby Bottle and Dish Liquid specific for baby bottles, breast pumps and sippy cups, the product line has expanded to include laundry detergent, toy and surface wipes, and pacifier wipes. Dapple is sold at major retailers such as Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us, Walgreens and online at diapers.com and Abe’s Market. In Chicago, Dapple is also available at Sprout San Francisco and GALT Baby.Posted on July 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM