Exercising With Your Kids: Build a Healthier & Happier Family
Written by: Orange Shoe Personal Fitness
There isn’t a better time to start exercising with your children than spring. A healthier family results in happier children and parents. The warm weather provides endless (and cheap!) opportunities to get creative in your activities, especially in our park-friendly city.
There has never been a time that children have been more sedentary. It’s up to you as a parent to make sure your child is active. Set a good example by being active yourself. Your kids will follow your lead. So get outside and have fun while building a better family! Here are some ideas on how a family can be active in Chicago:
- Walking the beach
- Biking the lakefront
- Playing with the dog at the park
- Having a catch
- Creating obstacle/agility courses
- Showing your kids how its done on the swing or monkey bars
- Sports in the park (forget the rules and play for fun or have a contest): Tennis, volleyball, badminton, basketball, soccer, frisbee, whiffle ball, swimming, running, etc.
- Rainy day? Play hide and seek, have a pushup/air squat/sit up contest, build an obstacle course, dress up and host a dance competition, do a workout dvd together, or embrace exercise themed video games!
- Take the stairs every time, and see who can get to the top the fastest
- Walk the dog as a family after dinner every night
- Eat fruits/veggies with every meal, and see who can eat the largest variety each week
- Stay away from soda, and teach your kids that it’s harmful for their bones and muscles