Migraine Relief - A Holistic Approach
Written by: Denise Gaskell
Those who have suffered from migraines know they are more than just intense headaches. While headache pains are part of a migraine, there are other symptoms, including nausea, dizziness and sensitivity to light. Treating migraines is not easy, but there are various natural techniques and alternative treatments that can ease the pain.
Most people try to get rid of pain with medications, but this may not be the best solution. Drugs usually have unwanted side effects and, long term, may cause harm. On the other hand, natural methods typically offer health benefits. Before, or in addition to, taking meds, try these natural suggestions. Not every method will work for you. Try different things and see what’s best for you.
If you get a migraine, here are a few tips that have immediately relieved pain for some people:
- Take a bath or shower.
- Lay down and rest in a dark room.
- Stay away from bright lights.
- Place something cold on the back of your neck.
- Avoid strong smells: candles, perfumes, cleaning chemicals, etc.
- Drink water or tomato juice.
- Eat if you haven’t eaten for a while.
- Massage your neck and shoulders and relax the muscles in your body.
- Rub a lightly mentholated cream on back of your neck or temples.
Stress on the spine may cause migraines. If your neck bones aren’t in just the right spot, a chiropractor can gently push them back into place. Interview local chiropractors and find one that works for you!
Many foods might trigger a migraine:
- MSG (Mono-sodium glutamate)
- Processed meats/foods
- Artificial sweeteners/ingredients/colorings
- Refined sugars (white sugar, white carbs, etc.)
Try eliminating one or two foods you may have eaten within 24 hours of having a migraine. You might have a sensitivity to a certain food or ingredient that is causing your migraines.
Taking additional B vitamins, fish oil, calcium and magnesium in combination also might provide significant relief, reduced frequency and even elimination of migraines.
Denise Gaskell is mom to two young adult girls and two teenage boys and wife of 22 years. She is passionate about health, wellness and green topics. She is CEO of Gaskell Healthy Solutions, a health and wellness company offering nutrition and wellness products, including the Shaklee product line.Posted on November 08, 2012 at 10:11 AM