Picking the Right Gift for Your Nanny
Written by: Karla Issa
It is indeed the “most happiest time of the year”. The trees are trimmed, the children are snuggled in their beds, and you are awake contemplating what to get your nanny for the holidays. There are so many different kinds of nanny-family situations that this can be a difficult task to navigate. Do you give her money or does that seem too cold? Do you give her a present? But what would be appropriate? Below are some points to keep in mind:
- Consider how long your nanny has worked with your family. This may make a difference in the amount you’re willing to spend.
- How well you know your nanny? If you know her well you may already know what she likes or something she has been saving for. Try and help her out with that.
- How does your family view your nanny? Is she like a member of the family or is this strictly an employer-employee relationship?
- Your nanny takes on an enormous job everyday that involves what is most important to you. Money is a factor but make sure you do what you can to show she is valued.
- Still have thoughts swirling and questions lingering? No problem. From my experience I have seen everything from a double week’s pay for the nanny to gift cards to her favorite salon and restaurant. Try to keep it thoughtful because this is a more personal relationship than say the one you have with your accountant who gets the traditional fruitcake.
The holidays are not all about gift giving despite what the pushy fragrance people at the department stores tell you. It is about how you treat one another and most importantly spending time together. The best nanny-family relationships are the ones based on a true fondness and love for each other. The nanny may expect more than you guys saying “we love you”. However, keep this in mind and the answer on what to gift her will naturally come to you.Posted on December 19, 2011 at 8:03 AM