Childcare during the CPS teachers' strike
Written by: Laura Baginski
Unless the Chicago Teachers Union and the city come to an agreement, CPS teachers and support staff, who are on the picket lines now, will continue to strike into the week of Oct. 21. How long the strike will last is anyone's guess, but one thing's for sure: If you're a working parent, you need to figure out where to send your child while school is not in session.
Here are some options for childcare during the strike. Check back often—we'll be updating this post as we get more information. Want to talk with other parents about the strike? There's a very active thread on our member discussion forum filled with all kinds of viewpoints.
- Chicago Fire Camp: Soccer camp in North Center; ages 6–14. Go here for more info.
- Codeverse Coding Camp: Code your own video games, program lights, and explore robotics in Lincoln Park; ages 6–13, $100 ($50 off normal price of $150 with code CPS-50). Go to www.codeverse.com/day-off-camps.
- Dream Big Broadway Kids Strike Camp: Performing arts day camp in Andersonville; pre-K–8th grade, $85/$70. Pre-register on the website main page or by clicking here.
- Emerald City Theatre: Musical theater camp in Lakeview; ages 6–10, $50/day. Register here.
- enerGEEwhizz kids fitness: Fitness and fun camp in Lincoln Park/Goose Island, ages preschool–13, half-day $50, full-day $85. $15 off for CPS students with promo code CPSSTRIKE. Reserve at https://energeewhizz.com/
camps/ or call 312-796-0808.
- The Family Matters School: Progressive school in Rogers Park; ages 5–7, $30/day. Email fmschool@familymatterschicago.
org to register.
- Facets: Film camp in Lincoln Park; ages 9–13, $15–$20/day. Click here to register.
- JCYS Iris and Steven Podolsky Family Center School’s Out Camp: Daily field trips, games, music, and fun with friends in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood; 8am–5:30 pm; grades K–5, $90/day. Register at https://jcys.org/
- Kids Clay Room: Clay pottery camp in Lincoln Park; ages 5 and up, $40/day (9am–12pm). Register here.
- Kids Science Labs: Science camp in Lincoln Park and Roscoe Village; ages 4–12, $90/day. Register here.
- Lakeview Preschool Academy: Early childhood center in Lakeview; ages 2–5, $50/day includes breakfast, lunch and snack. Call 773-857-0029 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Learning Experience: Preschool program in Sauganash; ages 6 weeks–6 years, pricing varies. Contact Kelsie at 773-754-7984 or email@example.com to register.
- Lycee Francais World Camp: Immersion camp in five languages in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square; ages 3–18. Register here.
- Neighborhood Boys & Girls Club: Fun activities in North Center; ages K–12, $20–$60/day. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-463-4161, ext 117.
- NY Kids Club: Physically enriching and artistically engaging activities in Lincoln Park; ages 3–8, $50–$95. Email email@example.com or call 773-697-7832 to reserve.
- Old Town School of Folk Music: Art, music, dance camp in Lincoln Square; ages 6–12, $80–$90/day. Register here.
- Open Space Early Learning Center: Early childhood center and preschool in Ravenswood/Uptown; ages 6 weeks–5 years; cost varies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve.
- The Paintbrush Strike Camp: Safe, fun drop-off in Lincoln Park; ages K–6th grade, $60/day (additional sibs $55). Email ThePaintbrush@ThePaintbrush.
net or call 773-636-1968 to reserve.
- 3 Point Athletics: Sports camp in Old Town; ages 6–14, $75. Register here.
- The Wishcraft Workshop: Art camp in North Center; ages 5–12, $90/day. Register here.
- Anne's Haven: Social space in Portage Park with activities run by former CPS teacher; ages 5 and up, $40/day (siblings $20). Email email@example.com.
- Fearless Cooking: Cooking camp near Portage Park/Jefferson Park/Old Irving, 10am–2pm, ages 6–12, $50 per day. Register here.
- Green Explorers Club: Hands-on sustainability camp in Bucktown; ages 4–10, $65–$85/day. Register here.
- The Kids Table: Fun cooking camp in Wicker Park and Lakeview, ages 4–10, $90/day. Register here.
- The Laboratory Collective: Science camp in Bucktown; ages 7–12, $90/day. Register here.
- Lutheran Day: Arts and science camp in Humboldt Park/Logan Square, ages 4–11, $60/day. Email Ms. Doss at LDN1802@sbcglobal.net to register.
Loop/West Loop/South Loop
- Bennett Day School: Art, science and sports camp in West Town; preK–5th grade, $85/day. Click here to register.
- Brooklyn Boulders Adventure Day: Climbing, team-building exercises and S.T.E.A.M activities in the West Loop; ages 5–12, $119–$139. Click this link to register.
- Hi-Five Sports: Sports camp in Near West Side; K–8th grade, $75/day (includes lunch, snacks, T-shirt). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Lakeshore Academy of Artistic Gymnastics: Gymnastics and rock climbing camp in River West, ages 5–12, $125/day. Call 312-563-9400 to reserve.
- Shedd Aquarium: Hands-on science and animal encounters camp in the South Loop; ages K–5th grade, $90–$100. Register here.
- Near the Pier Development Center: Education center in Streeterville; ages 5–12, $80/day. Go to www.thepremierchildcare.com and click on Near The Pier or call 312-527-2223.
- West Loop Soccer Club: Full day (9am–5pm) soccer camp; ages 5-12, $85 (siblings $70, lunch Included)—save $10 with discount code NOSTRIKE4US. Click here to register.
- Beverly Arts Center: Arts camp in Beverly; $38–$42/day. Go here to register.
- Little Hands Learning Center/Ma Mere Institute: Educational curriculum including yoga, Spanish and Mandarin in Beverly/Morgan Park; ages 2–6, $65–$75/day. Call 773-445-9000 for details and registration.
Little People Learning Center: Early childhood center in Hyde Park, ages 2–12, $60/day includes snacks and lunch. Call Ms. Tiwana at 773-955-9942
- CPS: Schools will remain open in the event of a strike, though with limited staff. Register here.
- JCC Chicago: Activities mixed with independent play, various locations; ages K–5th grade, $80/day (aftercare $20). Register here.
- MeTime: Hourly or full-day drop-off childcare with licensed daycares and vetted individual providers across Chicagoland; ages 6 wks–12 years, $14–$16/hour. Book at trymetime.com or email email@example.com for more information.
- YMCAs throughout the city; kids 5–12, $50–$80/day.
*If you're a business/school that is planning to provide drop-in care, email firstname.lastname@example.org with info in the format above.
There are many ways you can follow news about the strike, including Chalkbeat's website, the Sun-Times' education blog, following WBEZ's education reporter Sarah Karp on Twitter (@SSKedreporter) and liking IL Raise Your Hand on Facebook. Raise Your Hand also has a list of childcare options.
Posted on September 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM