Sep. 24 South Side School & Resources Fair
Written by: Sarah Cobb
We are just days away from our newest addition to our NPN School Fair Season! South Side Parents (SSP), Hyde Park Parent Support Network (PSN), and Neighborhood Parents Network (NPN) jointly present the South Side Preschool & Elementary School & Resoures Fair.
Join us for a one-day FREE event where you can make connections with more than 50 public/private schools, enrichment programs, family friendly businesses, and Chicago resources. Open to the public.
WHO: South Side families looking to connect with repesentatives from great public and private schools
WHEN: Saturday Sep. 24th, 10am - 1pm
- Determine the factors that are most important to your family’s school search process (e.g., starting age, location, total costs, school hours/schedule, before/after school activities/options, etc.)
- Visit the NPN online School Directory and use the search to create a list of schools you don't want to miss at the fair. Check the exhibitor list to see who will be there!
- Download the eDirectory to get to know the schools you are considering.
- Use your NPN School Fair Program book to keep track of your conversations, contacts, and progress.
Q. What should I ask a school when visiting their exhibitor table?
A. Here are a few ideas beyond getting to know the basics about a school:
- Confirm admissions deadlines, process details, financial aid options/deadlines, and open house date(s)
- Where appropriate, ask about twin and sibling policies
- Ask about what a classroom looks like and what a typical day includes
- Get to know more about their teachers – teacher-student ratios and their hiring requirements
- Get to know their before/after school activities and options
- What are their special classes/programs? What makes them different from other schools?
Thank you to our media sponsor Chicago Parent Magazine, and our supporting sponsors Pirate Brands and Chicago News Cooperative. Thank you to our generous host, Maria High School. And please bring a few books to help us support our non-profit friend Open Books.
Posted on September 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM