The best Chicago street fests for families
Written by: Laura Baginski
Do Division photo courtesy of Rep3
It may not feel like it lately, but summer is nearly here! In Chicago, that means plenty of cheap or free to entertain your kids outside in the glorious sunshine, especially at our city's ubiquitous summer street fests. Some fests are more family-friendly than others, so which outdoor bashes are best for bringing the little ones?
Mommy Nearest writer Rene Ryan came up with a fantastic list of the top 8 Chicago summer festivals for families, and she covers neighborhoods all over the city. (Pilsen's Fiesta del Sol is kid-friendly and free? Yes, please!)
We commissioned our own impromptu survey of the best Chicago festivals on Facebook as part of a ticket giveaway for our upcoming NPN Indoor Street Fest. In order to be entered to win 4 tickets to this awesome summer kick-off event, 70 Chicago parents listed their favorite street fest. The results, in order of top vote-getters:
- Do Division, June 2–4: Saturday and Sunday feature the Family Fun Fest, which includes pony and train rides, kindie acts, face painting and bounce houses.
- Taste of Randolph, June 16–18: Known for booking great bands (Dawes is one of the many performing this year) and offering top-tier food, this fest is a must for the whole family.
- Lincoln Square Maifest, June 1–3: Dance to the German oompah bands with your kids, eat enormous pretzels, play carnival-style games, drink from giant steins (beer for you, soda or water for the kids, of course!).
- Retro on Roscoe, August 11–13: If you have a little gearhead, he or she will love the classic cars on display, but all kids will enjoy the bounce houses, live music, face painting and more in an area just for them.
- Square Roots Festival, July 7–9: Organized by kid-favorite Old Town School of Folk Music, this Lincoln Square fest is chockablock with kids' activities: dancing, Wiggleworms classes, an "instrument petting zoo" and more.
Can't wait for these summer fests to start? Get everything you love about Chicago street fests at NPN's Indoor Street Fest on May 21 at Lil' Kickers Bradley Place! Bounce houses, pizza, face painting, glitter tattoos, live musical performances by Laura Doherty and Bollywood Groove, and much more! RSVP before it sells out!
Posted on May 04, 2017 at 2:37 PM